Leaf is my identity, looks fragile, simple, but necessary, and it's green as it's alive, only lonely, as it's alone in the jungle of life.
Yes, the existence of leaf is not limited merely by space and time, but simply comes and goes following the cycle of life.

That's how the stories here are narrated, as it was witnessed by the lonely green leaf.

Just remember, life is not really alive when you cannot use and express your own imagination freely.
But if that's happen, just read the leaf imagination narrated here, and dream of it.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The giant floating lotus

Couple weeks ago I was in Jakarta for second round of meeting held in Borobudur hotel. The hotel named after the biggest Buddhist temple in the world: “Borobudur”.

The real temple is located in Magelang Central Java, 40 kilometers northwest of Yogyakarta, a famous tourist destination city in Java. In my childhood, I often visit Borobudur temple, as I was born and grew up in Yogyakarta. But the massive, incredibly Borobudur, almost never came across my mind until a year ago, when I went to the same hotel for the first round of the meeting.

The giant floating lotus

Yes, this is Borobudur, so beautiful huh?! The pic was taken by my best friend whose hobby on photography. He deliberately goes before dawn, just to get the best shoot. I do like his snapshot, but bit annoyed with the watermark he put on. Never mind, it’s his signature; At least you can see how marvelous the temple is, floating on morning mist as a giant lotus, with the mystical mount Merapi, and the mountainous surrounding areas, as backgrounds.

It is said that once Borobudur was located on an ancient lake, floating like a giant lotus flower. I like this theory, as Borobudur truly looks like a lotus flower, a symbol of Buddhist, and located on a plain, considerably a sacred plain of Java, surrounded by Mt Merapi, Mt Merbabu, Mt Sindoro, Mt Sumbing, Mt Tidar and Menoreh hills. Now, let's take a look of the Borobudur temple bit closer.

The Borobudur miniature
This temple miniature is within the garden of the Borobudur hotel where I stay, along the path-way to the swimming pool. Last year, I didn't have a chance to explore, nor even take a pic of this miniature. I was too sick at that visit, allergic to Jakarta’s dust and air, and mostly stay in the room. It's so odd, as I used to live in Jakarta. For the second visit, I did stay a day longer, just to have a rest and more time for enjoying the hotel.

After breakfast, I spend some times to observe this miniature. The detail is definitely similar to the original temple. And believe me; analyzing the miniature is much easier rather than visiting the original one. That one is gigantic; you will get easily lost and disoriented when climb up and down the temple’s stairs or wandering around the temple's platforms.

The mini of the five, squared displayed platforms
The Borobudur temple is a symmetric massive monument, has six square platforms topped by three circular platforms and is decorated with 432 Buddha statues (108 on each side), and more than 2,500 reliefs. Right now, only five of the six squared platforms, which having marvelous reliefs, are exposed. The lowest platform or the base is just plain terrace, with no reliefs and carving. Some said the base was replaced due some construction issues, but other said it because the reliefs of the lower platform illustrate karma and bad thing in life, and deliberately kept hidden.

The lower platform as a plain terrace (from the mini)
The top three circular platforms are decorated by 72 Buddha statues, which covered by stupa, an individual semi-hemispherical structure covering each statue. Only two stupas have been opened for display, see the pic. In the center of the 72 stupas, the main dome with the biggest stupa is settled.

The displayed open Buddha statue and stupas as backgrounds
I did recall my childhood: people said if your arm long enough to touch the Buddha statue within one of the 70 closed stupas, you will get what you desire in your life. As any other kids, I did try, but never remember if I touched the statue. But when I grew up, I think it’s not fair, as people with long arm will have higher possibility to earn what they desire. Never mind, I believe nothing will happen if you just want something without any effort to make it happens.

Later that day I went home to be soon back to US. But I have a thought in mind: to take first opportunity to visit Borobudur temple, whenever I came to my home town. 

Borobudur temple is one of the wonder of the World’s, and has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site for cultural status, and I almost forget about this miraculous monument? How stupid am I?

Here is another shoot of Borobudur at sunrise, with Mt Merapi right in the back, and Mt Merbabu at far behind. This pic was taken by my other friend. Seems like many of my friends take advantages of living in Yogyakarta, and often visit this marvelous temple. I envy you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment