Leaf is my identity, looks fragile, simple, but necessary, and it's green as it's alive, only lonely, as it's alone in the jungle of life.
Yes, the existence of leaf is not limited merely by space and time, but simply comes and goes following the cycle of life.

That's how the stories here are narrated, as it was witnessed by the lonely green leaf.

Just remember, life is not really alive when you cannot use and express your own imagination freely.
But if that's happen, just read the leaf imagination narrated here, and dream of it.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

The city of pond: the capital of the lost Atlantis

Jakarta hit by heavy flood. I wasn't shock at the first time, as this is kind of annual story; there are some lower areas along the rivers get flooding every rainy season. But yes, I’m now shock when found the flooding pictures in internet. Look, this is the circle of Hotel Indonesia in 'downtown' Jakarta. I took the pic last November when I was at Mandarin Hotel for a meeting. Inset is the flooding in the same area. Next picture is the National Monument, the symbol of Jakarta.

The Circle of Hotel Indonesia

Well, as a Jakarta inhabitant I witness the weaknesses of Jakarta: mainly the unbalance between population growth and the capacity of the area and infrastructures to support the city life. As an effect, Jakarta weakened by some issues including too populated, crowded, clogged waterways, poor garbage management, poor public transportation, and traffic jump.

National Monument around the President palace
In fact Jakarta has close proximity to water, 13 rivers flow through the city and it is said that 40% of settlements areas lies below sea level, which mean naturally the city has high probability to experience water inundation. I do agree with this, since I map the wetland probability as a part of my research and here is the initial 'fun' map of Jakarta. Well, I won’t explain my work; this blog is for fun only, not for serious things, so the work detail must be found in other places.

Map of inundated area probability: values and colors represent the elevation
The point is, at least you know that Jakarta has probability as an inundated land. The natural condition gets worse with problem of sanitation, clogged waterways and garbage deposit that flow in sewerage and rivers unnoticed. In 2007 Jakarta flood as well and this year is getting worse. Look at these pictures.

Jakarta flooding year 2013

Two years ago, North Dakota and part of South Dakota got flood too, but not too bad in my small town (Brookings). I recall driving around the town to watch the flood in the rivers, streams and open fields. You may think I was crazy, yeah, I was amazed as the excessive water was clean, slightly different from dirty flooding in Jakarta. Of course, the water comes from melting snow in the north. But the water was so cold though it was already spring; you won't endure long in the water. Thanks God, we in the tropic don’t have such cold flood.

I would say flood everywhere is bad, not in South Dakota nor in Jakarta. But the effect may slightly different, as most of flooded areas in South Dakota aren't populated while Jakarta is a capitol city where economic activities are taken place.

South Dakota flooding year 2011
Hey, I recall drive my small Honda civic through the flooded road that lies between two lakes (similar as shown in the pic). The flooded road was long enough, about 200-300 meters, and the water flows was strong. I can feel it because I was the one behind the wheel; while two of my good friends were busy shouting at me to drive slowly and carefully. Boys, calm down, believe me I know how to drive, remember I live in Jakarta, hahaha, that was fun. Hey I should upload the video when we crosses that flooded road someday. Yeah just let me edit the voice of shouting and debating, hahaha.

Well, have you experienced flooding in the city? I don’t think so, but I do. It was an unforgettable horrible experience, especially when you watch water rises slowly (but sure) flowing into your bed room and finally reaches calves. Don’t even think about material damage, the immaterial damage was the worst. It’s a horror. Thanks God, we haven't yet completely buy that house, but I did loose many books and magazines which haven’t yet moved to higher place.

The house was flooded up to calves (2007)
I don’t want to repeat that horrible experience. One bad experience is more than enough. Then before buy a new house, as a geographer, I did check the topographic map, did field verification, checked historical background, finally choose the right site. Now, I live in southern part of Jakarta, about 19 km or 40 minutes driving to the circle of Hotel Indonesia; nice residential areas, with lots of trees and safe from flood. FYI, some nice and luxurious residential areas experience flood too, check this out. So don’t trust the price and what developer said, no guarantee that expensive houses will always safe from flood, do the research.

Flood at neighborhood with luxury houses (2013)
Well Jakarta isn't a perfect city, but I believe it will be a great city someday. True, we have lots of homework to achieve, but that is what called process.

Hey I have to go to bed now. Tomorrow I have to get up early and be ready for traveling. Anyway, I will be leaving to Manila tomorrow and to Jakarta, a week later. Hopefully I won't be trapped by the flood in the Cengkareng airport. Let see.

Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment