Leaf is my identity, looks fragile, simple, but necessary, and it's green as it's alive, only lonely, as it's alone in the jungle of life.
Yes, the existence of leaf is not limited merely by space and time, but simply comes and goes following the cycle of life.

That's how the stories here are narrated, as it was witnessed by the lonely green leaf.

Just remember, life is not really alive when you cannot use and express your own imagination freely.
But if that's happen, just read the leaf imagination narrated here, and dream of it.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

(100%) Made In Indonesia

I’m quite busy lately; my brain mostly occupies with something else, and I easily forget to share this 'interesting' story. However, yesterday night, I came back from other similar event (which was 'rang me a bell'). So before telling about the new event, let me share the previous one.


The event titled 'Made in Indonesia' and was taken place on September 16 at Downtown Silver Spring MD. It was a live entertainment on the street, rousing Indonesian dances, traditional martial art, angklung performance, etc., aimed to promote Indonesian culture and lifestyle.

One of the attractive dance performances was ‘Tari Tor Tor’, a traditional dance from Batak, an ethnic group of North Sumatra (one of Indonesia’s provinces). This dance barely claimed by 'our neighboring country' as their traditional dance (again?). Well, I don't know what's wrong with that country? Why always steal all of our heritage? Just appreciate whatever you have!!

Okay, the dance originally addresses for communicating to 'ancestral spirits'. It is said that the 'referred spirit' pervaded a wood statue and makes the statue moves rigidly. So the body movement of ‘Tari Tor Tor’ is rigid. Nowadays the dance intention is getting more general, such as welcoming special guess or greeting special events.


Other interesting performance was demonstration of Angklung, a music instrument from bamboo. Everybody can easily plays an angklung, just shake it! Well, each instrument only plays one tone (do/re/mi/fa/sol/la/si/do) but you have to know when you should exactly shake the angklung. I will talk more about this special music instrument, but later. Now, just watch this short video. Sorry, I forgot to record most of the song we played (‘coz my hand was occupied too), and only get this.


Nice huh? Other interesting performance was Pencak Silat, a traditional martial art of Indonesia. I was so excited to see many people from US learn about this martial art, they are pupil of the martial school, and even contribute to the performance, wearing red and white uniforms (our national color), awesome.



During the break, I walked down the street to check the Indonesian booths of foods and beverages, ate some, bought some, met friends and acquaintances, includes checked some Indonesian snacks to go. After all, I was so tired and decided to go home. Just realized (when my friend called me) that I missed the best performances, which was ‘Reog Ponorogo’. This dance is so special and 'kind of'' mystical; you won’t understand how the dancer can wear such a 'huge heavy' mask, and even with one person sit on it? Check this out.



Too bad that I missed the Reog! May be next time.

note: the last pic isn't mine, got it from everywhere, thanks to the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment